Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Mission Accomplished-- Card Report #2

I have to say I didn't see this coming: Bubbles is absolutely convinced that there are 75 cards headed his way. Logical of course, but not something I'd thought of. We discussed how many he'd have to get per day to make that happen, and what would happen if he only got 74. "That's easy," said the ever-practical Bubble. "I'd just send myself one."




Rest assured that he is enjoying each and every card. He made a list and has numbered each card and envelope-- This from a man with no inclination to organize much of anything.  




And, he started opening cards! "I figured if the idea is to enjoy them, I should start enjoying them now." LOVE IT! He read me many cards on the phone, and D.K., I have to tell you, I think yours takes the cake. (D.K., who doesn't know us directly, by the way.)


"Happy 75th Birthday," the card reads. "That would make you approximately 27,365 days old. Wow! I hope you are enjoying every one of them. Best to you and the family. We all miss you here in Japan.  Dave  p.s. Come visit us soon."


Oh man, we got giggling! There was something about someone he doesn't know writing to him as if he did that struck Dad as incredibly funny. We got laughing about how embarrassing it is that we forgot Dave's birthday this year. And about how long it's been since we saw Dave. Then some of the other cards came into play. We said that we were so sorry to have missed Katie from Texas' Christmas party this year, and how we would love to go see Deb in Vancouver in the spring. It was fabulous. If this project is about producing joy and laughter (and it is!), mission accomplished. Truly, in a we could stop right now kind of way. I sure don't plan to (and hope you are still spreading the word), but indeed, mission accomplished.


Dad even suggested that they put the cards on the dining room table so Mom could photograph them for me. Yay for no more secret photographs!


"Sarah, I think you'd really enjoy these," he said. "Maybe when I've have a chance to enjoy them for a while, I'll put them all in an envelope and send them to you." 


Awwwwww... so sweet.




That's Mom and Dad in the "Happy Birthday Bubbles" photo card, by the way. Dad's in blue all the way on the left, and Mom's on the right, wearing white.

Day 2 Totals

Card Count: 31*

Country Count: 5
Anticipated: 37+
Australia, The Bahamas, Bermuda, Brazil, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, China, Colombia, Cuba, Egypt, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Puerto Rico, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, United Kingdom, United States, US Virgin Islands

*Counting the one from his insurance agent, who always sends him one, and the hand-delivered card that arrived about a week ago. More on that one in a future post.

No comments:

Post a Comment