Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Like Cat Hair on a Couch


So it's interesting to see where people's minds go when I tell them about this project. Reactions tend to be quick-- Within 30 seconds, text messages are being composed, friends in the US and abroad are being added to lists, puzzles planned, horrendous cat stickers retrieved. (Truly, the kitten stickers are awful. I've got to get a picture of them!) And, of course, people want to get clear about what I am asking them to do. I'm including below a few questions I've been asked, as well as my responses. 



Can my dog send a card?
Absolutely! Shoot, your neighbor’s urban chickens can each send a card. It’s all good.



Can we (third graders) really address a card to “Bubbles”?

Sure! Everyone calls him Bubbles so I can’t imagine addressing it any other way. That being said, I like to stir that pot, so when my teacher friend filled me in on her students' question, I thought I should up the ante. I said they could feel free to address their cards to Bubbles, The Great Robert, Robert the Great, or Bubble Bear, whatever strikes their fancy. I love that he may get cards addressed to Robert the Great. He's always joking that that's what we should call him. That or The Great Robert the Great. I get the feeling he'd like us to emphasize his greatness. 


So you’re saying that you want complete strangers to send your dad cards?
I sure do. This whole thing’s a game and it definitely has layers, but one of those layers is called volume. Friends are sharing with friends and those friends are asking their friends. I got a great e-mail from a friend of a friend in New Zealand today. She doesn't know me at all but she’s asking her friends and family to participate and assures me that she's “all over it like cat hair on a couch.” I love that.


No comments:

Post a Comment